Please post comments - it cheers us up no end when we are stuck in a swamp surrounded by crocs!
To Post - Go to bottom of blog and click on "comments" - Enter your comment - Click "Select Profile" - From drop down menu select "Name/URL" - Enter your name in Name box - Put nothing in URL box - Select "Continue" - Select "Publish"





Friday 28 February 2014

An eccentric artist, a mad driver and a bit of a rant - but who cares he rescued us

Back at the top of the hill and again with mobile phone access I rang the NRMA, planning to explain my predicament, negotiate and pay for membership then get them to send their nearest breakdown truck to rescue us as soon as possible. However it is impossible to negotiate with one of my pet hates - automated answering systems that give you six options, followed by a further six and, if you stick in long enough you get back to the beginning and have to start all over again. All I wanted was a human voice  to speak to.

As I attempted to try again I heard what sounded like a car coming up the hill. Sure enough an ancient beaten-up old saloon car with a twenty foot metal pole strapped to the roof was heading up the track towards me at break neck speed. Narrowly missing me with the pole - presumably material for future creations - the car skidded to a halt. The driver - an old guy but probably not much older than myself - announced that he had spoken to Sandra at the bottom of the hill, was aware of the situation and was going up to the house to get a set of jump leads.

This was Vic - our saviour.

I re-joined Sandra to wait for Vic who duly arrived with the guard dog from the house which I had met earlier and was called Robbie. Robbie was a "pure bred Australian Terrier" - whatever that may be. Sandra jumped into the front seat beside Vic and, when I opened the back door, I discovered that the rear seats had been removed and I had to rattle around in the back - with rattle being the operative word. I suspect that in an earlier phase of his life Vic may have been a rally driver judging by the way he drove back along the road that it had taken Sandra and I three and a half hours to walk. For almost the whole journey Vic ranted and was particularly upset at what the mining companies were doing to the area. Vast swathes of countryside were being bought up for open cut mine development resulting in plummeting property values and depopulation. The local town, that had once had shops and a thriving community, is now almost a ghost town.

Back at our car Vic produced jump leads and we quickly got the car started. I was about to suggest that he should follow us out just in case it stalled but he seemed very anxious to get away and, after a brief shake of the hand and a somewhat reluctant photograph - he and Robbie were gone.

Car re-started
Vic and Robbie
Sandra, Vic and Robbie

Managing not to stall the engine Sandra and I headed for Mudgee where we refuelled and had a very late lunch. From there it was a straightforward run down to Lithgow and Katoomba then back to Sydney only three hours late for Johann's celebratory birthday dinner - which had been postponed.

The car goes into the garage tomorrow for a re-fit - I'll be mentioning battery problems!
Sandra and I also need a re-fit !!

Well it looks like our 2014 trip is shaping up to be as disaster prone as our 2010 trip - and to cap it all, as I write it is bucketing down in Sydney - deja vue all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment