Please post comments - it cheers us up no end when we are stuck in a swamp surrounded by crocs!
To Post - Go to bottom of blog and click on "comments" - Enter your comment - Click "Select Profile" - From drop down menu select "Name/URL" - Enter your name in Name box - Put nothing in URL box - Select "Continue" - Select "Publish"





Thursday 11 February 2010

Ironing and dangerous creatures

Something seldom experienced in Scotland is housework in hot weather. My two tasks today have been ironing (lesson learned: I am going to dump all the clothes that require ironing) and defrosting Johann's freezer (lesson learned; the food defrosts faster wrapped in thick towels than the ice in the freezer even with containers of boiling water to help it on it's way). Both tasks generated bucket loads of sweat, the second task frostbitten fingers as I realised how quick the food was defrosting. Must have a beer to compensate for the water loss and the pain.

Yesterday James and I got lost going for a walk to the coffee shop only a few hundred yards from the new house It seemed like several kms later we eventually got the breakfast we were looking for. Birchgrove, our new part of the Balmain peninsula is very leafy with beautiful parks, pretty houses and views of Sydney harbour from every corner you turn.


The photo showing James with Sydney Harbour Bridge was taken a few yards from our new squat.

This morning I got up and found a cockroach trapped in my empty glass from last night. The glass of course contained my usual tipple of red wine. Unfortunately for the cockroach I had drained my glass before going to bed so after James tried to drown the thing unsuccessfully it suffered squashing without anaesthetic.


Last night we had a Parisian evening at the art gallery. The singer was fine but the accordionist went on a bit too long. Walked back to the car through the Domain, a large public park in the centre of Sydney surrounded by skyscrapers. It was a wonderful walk, balmy and breezy.











The photo is me taking in a bit of modern art at the Art Gallery prior to the performance.
Today we purchased our home for the next few months. For those interested it is called an Oztent and is erected in 30 seconds flat even by us (well James did it actually but it was my intention to help I just didn't get downstairs fast enough). We also purchased beds which in use are well off the ground in case of dangerous animals although I suspect any self respecting dangerous animal can climb. James bought a stove. He did ask my advice about which one we should buy but as everyone knows I have little expertise in the stove field so left the final decision to him.

The tent is now pitched in Johann's garden. However I think the overnight trial run should wait until this weekend when Steven, Ana and Lex can help us set up camp. Steven thinks we are mad buying an expensive tent. He would have gone for the cheap as chips one which would have blown away in the first breeze. However Johann and Stretch have offered to buy this one from us when we return home so there is method in our madness.

Our library is growing. Today on top of the national parks, bird and flowers of Australia books we have we got one on Australia's venomous animals and what to do if bitten. The only thing biting us so far are the mosquitoes. They are bad enough and are not even mentioned in this book.

By the way yet another idiot has been bitten by a shark. It will take a lot of effort to get me in the sea beyond my ankles

4 comments:

  1. hi Sandra & James - you seem to be having a great time - good luck with the tent?! Enjoying following your blog after a day at work - not the same without you Sandra!
    Look forward to when you are on the road.... Take care - Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan Goldwyre23 February, 2010

    Hi guys - all sounds like great fun so far. I can empathise with the ironing comment. I gave up on ironing completely on our USA trip. never ironed a thing after the first month. Bliss. So why I am ironing back home again???? are we just too conditioned in the UK to smart clothes. Anyone that knows my better half will know that it is me that has that problem...... I envy you two the hot weather. Cold every day here, still scraping the car windscreen every morning.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. susangoldwyre08 April, 2010

    Hi again
    After reading your lack of tolerance at the camp site noise I would like to remind you of something....... I was just going through an old photo album and came across a photo of you and Sandra at an event in our garden. You are holding on to numerous pairs of wellie boots and a brolley or two. In the next photo you are singing with a group of party thugs (Colin from Liberton Rugby club and some freinds) and I remember the noise! so just remember - you were young once ha ha. Good to read your prolific blog notes. Well done. Don't let it become a tie if you can't post something though. Enjoy every minute possible. lol Susan. (The kids all use lol, no idea what it stands for? lots of love, loads of laughs, light on lister for those with a lisp..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. remind me to tell you a story about El's geographical expertise when you get here...the trigger is gold coast and ocean :)
    Martin

    ReplyDelete